Currently Old Issues:
labor in haiti - screwed no matter who...,
| Main |
anti-terrorism in an age of moral clarity...,
getting themselves a serious foreign policy:
I'm assuming Mr. Totten would consider the rebounding hilarity DeLong offers us as laughably unserious:
- Attack the problem of Al-Qaeda and its ilk through a unified response--military, intelligence, law enforcement, and diplomatic.
- Not necessarily treat regimes that harbor terrorists as terrorists (Pakistan, Saudi Arabia, South Boston, anyone?), but make them aware that nothing good will happen for them as long as they harbor terrorists, and that invasion is definitely something that we are thinking hard about.
- Promote democracy around the world, rather than just pretend to.
- Undertake a serious development and global health effort, rather than just pretend to.
- Explain the real reasons we attacked Iraq--it wasn't that we failed to realize what Hans Blix's findings meant for the reliability of our intelligence, was it?
- Retire the architects of the intelligence debacle--Rumsfeld, Wolfowitz, Cheney, and company. People foolish enough to take exiles' statements at face value don't belong in government.
- Apologize to those of our allies who thought that containment and inspections was a successful policy in late 2002 and early 2003.
- Put Marshall Plan-scale resources into building civil society in the Middle East, rather than just pretend to.
Cry for us America, establishment democrats are so lost in the woods.
Here I am, Mr. foaming-at-the-mouth anti-American leftoid, and all I'd do is replace "just pretend to" with "do the exact opposite" in a few cases, the sort of nitpicking that makes me unelectable. Assuming we agree to disagree on trade policy it's the sort of nitpicking that engulfs a good 80% of the divide over American foreign policy, with liberal hawks and the League of Bush Conservatives believing that there's no pretending involved. It is the squabbling over the "pretending to"s that make Kerry look like a breakfast pastry, and I tend to think he only has a slightly less active fantasy life than those in Bush country. Whatever, why take the blinders off the horse in the middle of the apocalypse.
:: posted by buermann @ 2004-03-05 13:17:23 CST |