- OS X is BS.
- find the goddam terminal utility and put it in the dock. Black on white!
- Figure out how to enable root.
- An ATA-100/133 PCI IDE Adapter for PowerMac, for hardrives larger than 128G. Maybe a DVD burner to replace the zip drive while we're at it. Maybe it's time to buy one of those poddy eye thingies.
- mozilla: all the web fit to browse. Also it's time to start using tabbed browsing - mac desktop management is a mess.
- mplayer for os x: the nigh-universal media player.
- WorkSpace Manager or maybe you cd or virtue: virtual desktop environments on OS X, neat!
- poisoned: p2p.
- Azureus: bit torrent client. Like poisoned a resource hog, under preferences go to "queue" and turn down "max downloads" and "active torrents" to finite numbers to limit processor and RAM resource hogging. I've got these set to 5 and 10 respectively (and probably turned down the rest of the queue settings from the default too) and rarely notice that it's running any longer.
- For virtual desktops use Desktop Manager, of those listed here seems to be the only that makes hot-key shifting between desktops easy/possible.
- For OS X native Open Office support try NeoOffice, it works much better than the X11 install.
- I nigh-require tabbed terminal browsing, as I tend to have a shitload of terminals open at one time per my resume: iTerm supports this but is otherwise a slow piece of resource hogging shit.
:: posted by buermann @ 2005-01-10 09:19:14 CST |