- Current force level in Iraq: 175,000
- Estimated troop / peacekeeper requirements for successful rebuilding: 300,000
- Number of international forces expected soon: 20,000
- Average monthly salary in Iraq: $100
- Monthly income of Muqtada Sadr's Shi'ite group (very hard line): $65,000
- Total in salaries and expenses paid to-date to 600 U.S. staff members of Coalition Provisional Authority: $300 million ($5000 / person average)
- Total in salaries and pensions paid to-date to 24 million Iraqi state workers: less than $150 million ($6.25 / person average)
- Infrastructure repair costs required for Iraq's oil network: $1 billion
- Amount of repair costs for Iraq's oil network created by looting and sabotage: $800 million
- Amount needed to convert state infrastructure to a market economy: $200 billion
- Cost to maintain US occupation per month: $3 billion
- Oil revenues expected by end of 2003: $5.5 billion
- Number of American military interventions since 1776: 200.
- Number of nation-building attempts: 16.
- Number of successful nation-building attempts: 4, by the stretch of the imagination that counts Grenada and Panama as "successes".
:: posted by buermann @ 2003-07-02 13:34:24 CST |